1 Yellow Bell Pepper. We always used fresh squeezed lemons (like 4) instead of the vinegar and mayo instead of just sour xream.. We mixed the two.. And not ham… We used wieners or doktorskaya kolbasa from russian store… Try it, will eat no other way!!! The recipe is great, however, in the event you guys don’t end up liking the dish itself – strain the soup, add some light mayo and sweet corn and BAM! Add a piece of of rye or pumpernickel bread served on the side to complete the Russian experience. Cucumber Soup, Jack, the son of Jack, of the family Slevkoff. Food & Cooking. Thank you for the great feedback :). love you blog! Took me 20 minutes, and it was delicious. Thanks for blessing me with your comment , i usually put half of sour cream and half of mayo in my okroshka. Great recipe. I have a question about your dicer. This recipe for cold Lithuanian beet soup or šaltibarščiai is made with buttermilk, sour cream, hard-cooked eggs, cucumbers, and dill. P.S. (pronounced: "Okroshka") I haven’t made it with buttermilk before, not sure how it will react to the vinegar. 10 Min; serves 4 Mmmmm …. It’s relatively guilt free; no butter or oils required. (This cooking potato method is thanks to one of my readers. ; Pour kefir-water mixture over vegetables and season to taste with salt and pepper. i love the idea of radishes too! I like okroshka with Kvass mixed with sour cream Also I prefer veggie variant without kielbasa but with radish and a lot of green herbs – green onions , parsley, dill and cilantro Very healthy and delicious. Cut a half pound of cooked ham, five radishes and one English cucumber into ¼-inch dice. Cook for about 5 minutes, until they are softened. I think Okroshka is something you grow to love. If you have a Russian store, or even a Winco nearby, they sell that kind of kielbasa. Sprinkle the cucumber slices with salt, and rest for 20 minutes. Healthy soup. You can also add a bit of the pickling brine to the soup. we used to put buttermilk instead of water an sour cream . I suppose you could pair it with crackers or bread. Here’s how: Wash and trim radishes and cucumbers. Recipe- Chilled Armenian Cucumber Soup . Stop blender immediately. We use turkey balogna instead of ham and add radishes for more crunch and flavor! I have ‘the sharper image chopper’, but I first need to slice the veggie, and then it “chopps” it into cubes. Thank you so much for sharing your tips! I can’t wait to post a recipe on my blog but with school and work ive been swamped lately. And we use buttermilk mixed with water as the base. Puree until smooth, about 1 … I just made the soup today for dinner. Add salt and pepper. Cut a half pound of cooked ham, five radishes and one English cucumber into ¼-inch dice. Thanks so much! My mom (and I now) make our okroshka with buttermilk, mineral water, a bit of mayo and vinegar (salt and pepper). I’ve never had anything like this before and actually heard about it it on a Russian visual novel. We also add radishes..makes for pretty color! That must be so hard with a dairy allergy I’m just rattling my brain trying to think of something and I decided to google sour cream substitutes. Thanks for the tip Nadia. The banana bread recipe on your site is indeed perfect! Thank you so much for sharing that with me. For quicker cooling, you can rinse potatoes with cold water. Very good recipe. (mayo is my best friend I pretty much add it to everything), Oh that sounds good! Add the half and half until the blender container is almost full or to highest usable capacity without going over the top. Thanks Alla. Thanks for giving this recipe a try, I am so glad you liked it. Add avocado and parsley; blend on low speed until smooth. And – thank you That’s very sweet of you. Transfer to bowls, sprinkle with parsley, and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of olive. Shutterstockのコレクションには、「Russian Traditional Soup Pickled Cucumber Meat」のHD画像素材のほか数百万点に及ぶロイヤリティフリーの写真、イラスト、ベクター画像素材がそろっています。 数千点の新しい高品質写真素材が毎日追加されます。 This is my favorite Summer soup, ever!!! Sadly, no cold soup for dinner yet, as the kvas needs a day’s lead time! Russian Translation for cucumber soup - dict.cc English-Russian Dictionary 10 Min; serves 4 Finely chop each and serve in separate bowls for guests to garnish the soup as they please. Hands down the best summer food! I’ve tried a kvas version that I didn’t like a whole lot but maybe it was that specific recipe. Personally I like it the best with lemon juice. Eggs I agree summer went by so quick! It’s wonderful for Summer; cold and refreshing. Stir before placing in a dish. Enjoy the soup! Thanks for the tip. 1 to 2 tsp Rice Wine Vinegar. Thank you! This is a cold summer soup from Russia called 'Okroshka'. Yes. However, the English cucumber … Can go for a bowl of it right now . This soup is so good and refreshing. Depends on what kind cucumber you have, I have English cucumber. Thanks in advance! And I just realized I’m very much a part of this picture. It's relatively guilt free; no butter or oils required. I hope you like it! So perfect as a late-night meal, a mid-morning snack, a light dinner with fresh dark bread… Thank you for providing the recipe. 2. Kefir and sour cream can be replaced with kvass. That sounds delicious! We love making akroshka with the kvas recipe from your blog (after it’s been in the fridge for a few days so it’s not sweet), comes out great! I completely agree, I absolutely love okroshka! Is it better made in advance for flavors to get picked up in broth, or better not? If you cook for a special guest, I suggest removing the center with seeds too. Hi Natasha!! I haven’t had okroshka in ages, mostly because I don’t have kvas but never thought of making it without. Masha thank you so much for your sweet compliment I’ll be sure to tell my husband his banana bread has another fan I’ll have to try it with seltzer. Thank you!!! Thanks for sharing! I make mine the same but with 1 ltr of kefir instead of sour cream, and I mix / mash the cooked yolk with 1.5 tblspn Russian mustard. 8 oz Greek yogurt. Since vinegar is so much more potent in flavor than kvass, you will want to replace some of the water with kvass for it to be flavorful enough. Easy, cheap and healthy; that’s my kinda meal. Green onion And I mean every single day and I’m not kidding! You are welcome Julia, sometimes the best pictures are taken by accident :). You may also use unsweetened kvas as base I boiled mine for 35 min and added 1 Tbsp of sugar for extra sweetness. You could save time using a food processor or onion chopper but the pieces won’t be as pretty and uniform. Beef Okroshka sounds yummy . Hi Anka, we really just serve it plain. Coolest thing ever. thank youuuuuuuuuuuu Keeps for several meals. So I was happy to find your recipe with ingredients that “American” friendly. Every time before making dinner, I have a habit of asking my significant other what he wants to eat and this salad is always part of his request, with extra onions and mayo. Hi Liam, one of my readers reported great results using Kefir: “I make mine the same but with 1 ltr of kefir instead of sour cream, and I mix / mash the cooked yolk with 1.5 tblspn Russian mustard.”. TFD has listed other pickled Russian fruit and vegetable recipes before, including watermelon and tomatoes, but it is now time to list a recipe for the ‘ne plus ultra’ of Russian pickles – the cucumber! Thanks for sharing! Recipe by Mirj2338. lol, yes, we do eat some interesting things Russian Shuba gives people the same reaction. In a separate large bowl, whisk together 8 cups of cold water, 1/3 cup of sour cream, 2 1/2 Tbsp of vinegar, 2 1/2 tsp of salt until combined. Books, Literature & Writing. very delicious.it will depend on how much you like that tobasco. Can it be made a day ahead? But I would love to hear the results if you decide to try it. Do you think it would work well with fresh lemon juice also? Instead of ham/beef/chicken she added a can of toad goby in tomato sauce! This soup is so yummy and healthy, you can buy the ingredients anywhere, which makes is really easy. Lets play, find Natasha…. I hope you love it! https://leitesculinaria.com/235613/recipes-cold-cucumber-soup-yogurt-dill.html Stir into the soup. I’ve tried with radishes and liked it very much! Next, dice 3 eggs, 3-4 cucumbers, and 1/2 lb of ham. Soooo good!!! Ummm… I was served this at midnight after a days excursion to Kazan. Autos. Older beets may take up to an hour. Best during the hot summer months Whenever I make either version, it doesn’t last long in the fridge! I checked out your site and I’m definitely looking forward to more of your FOOD posts To answer your question – I haven’t tried freezing it. , It’s the soup! I needed to add a little bit of lemon juice to get it as sour as I like it. And I buy Alexs meat bologna the red packagin one from the russian store. i have added green jalepeno tobasco to mine and it gives it a whole new taste. Thank you for this receipt, I very much like this summer soup. 3.75 .... Courgette, pea & pesto soup ... Marinated beetroot with grilled goat's cheese. sounds insane i know… sour cream and tomato fish. Thank you so much for sharing. Chill the okroska in the refrigerator for at least a half hour. Thank you for the recipe! You can probably skip the mayo for a healthier version. love okroshka so much on summer days. Season with black pepper and serve. In a separate large bowl, whisk together 8 cups of cold water, 1/3 cup of sour cream, 2 1/2 Tbsp of vinegar, 2 1/2 tsp of salt until combined. Welcome to my kitchen! I know, not much left cucumber will be. Yes I slice them so they are even little cubes. It is always BoMB! Hello Natasha, i wanted to ask if you by any chance have a recipe for holodnik, its diff from this im guessing? Stir into the soup. I’ve been wanting to make okroshka for a while and had no idea of the proportions. You have a nice site by the way Americans should know more about Russian and Ukrainian food Here in new York we have Ukranian food festival in the mountains in summer also I advise to check Veselka cook book My parents LOVED it! Temper the cream: pour the cream into a cup, add a couple tablespoons of soup, stirring after every added tablespoon, then … It’s just one of those things you don’t get tired of I don’t think I would try to freeze it because it has cucumbers in it and I think freezing might make them weired and gooey. I use Ayran (the Turkish yougurt-based drink). https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233415/simple-cucumber-soup Electric blender (8 cup) or food processor. holodnik recipe is posted, click here for the link. I havent tried this recipe for ages! Thank you for your great feedback, Alex. I’ve always had this with cold Kvas poured over it… Mmmm. Please let me know what you think! Question…does this freeze well? So this so so perfect!! We usually add red radishes too and it gives it a nice pop of color:). If you never had cucumber soup, My mother in law make Okroshka using beef (she doesn’t eat pork) and then makes the water with the beef broth and sour cream and lemon. Get weekly updates on new recipes, exclusive giveaways plus behind the scenes photos. Here are more beet recipes. How to Make Russian Cold Holodnik Soup: 1. Hi Tim – from your meringue comment, it seems you are quite the cook! This post may contain affiliate links. Don't know what to eat during hot summer days? I once ended up with a reflection of myself in a single cranberry which was garnish for a cranberry loaf. Great recipe base though . Do you have a specific recipe that you use? Hi there, I boil the chicken is not as flavorful as him and can be pretty bland and something like this. It's fun to slice off the ends and hollow them out as little cups for cold Cucumber soup. Hope that helps. Bon appetit! I’m back in Ukraine now and have just made Okroshka again using your recipe instead of mine! Serve up this Russian cucumber radish salad with some juicy burgers, grilled lamb kofta, or baked salmon. About 90% water, Cucumbers are rich in Vitamin C, beta-carotene and manganese, and yield antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. Let Me know about your experience with making okroshka and if this information has helped you. Just finished enjoying okrashka with Aryan instead of water/sour cream. ... Asparagus soup with tartines. The cucumbers are pretty straightforward. It’s basically summer in a bowl! Learn more... Natasha's top tips to unleash your inner chef! Now I can scarf it down like it’s nobodies business! We often joke about ours being a marriage made in culinary heaven: blini, borscht, pirogi and stuffed cabbage meets bruschetta, minestrone, ravioli and ossobuco. Add the liquid to the diced ingredients, stir and serve. (This cooking method is thanks to one of my readers - Nadia). This was delicious! I will try putting radishes next year when they will be in season, that’s sounds really good. I don’t think I liked it much the first couple times I tried it. Thank you so much for sharing your version! Easy to make and the taste can be addicting. https://natashaskitchen.com/2014/04/04/creamy-clam-chowder-recipe/. Thank you for sharing that with me. I’ll have to try that next time I make this soup. True to form, it just starting down pouring here in Kyiv and is cool! Not something you get tired of. Here you'll find delicious, trusted recipes with easy step-by-step photos and videos. I cooled the potato water (and skimmed off the potato scum) to use for the broth- adding water to get 8 cups. It's refreshing on a hot day. Peel potatoes and dice them into 1/4″ cubes (we used the Vidalia Chopper). I can’t wait till we will have home grown cucumbers in the summer to try this recipe again. when cucumbers are in season I will have to give it a try. Hello, loved your recipes that we’ve tried, including the baked salmon and garlicky potatoes. Besides the ones you mentioned they would also add radish and They would first kind of crush the green onions and dill together In the bowl until it lets out a juice, then all the ingredients were added and instead of using water and vinegar they would only use the sour cream and a very thin buttermilk for the soup base. I’ll try that. I know the kvas one doesn’t freeze well because of the alcohol. PS Whenever I buy the ingredients for Okroshka it is hot out, then when I go to make it, the weather always turns cool! Peel potatoes and dice them into 1/4" cubes (we used the Vidalia Chopper). I’ll check back later. Melt the butter/marg in large saucepan and saute the onion until transparent. Hopefully, she'll post some of her own soon! you can find them in a big russian store in any big city in North America, just ask for: “bychki v tomate” This recipe for cold Lithuanian beet soup or šaltibarščiai is made with buttermilk, sour cream, hard-cooked eggs, cucumbers, and dill. Reduce the heat to a simmer and keep the soup covered as it cooks. —Robert Breno Strongsville, Ohio Place everything in a large pot. Thanks for this recipe. If left on too long, the okroshka will be too watery and not chunky. Drain well and set aside to cool. Buttermilk is great option as well :). It’s just one of those things you don’t get tired of I don’t think I would try to freeze it because it has cucumbers in it and I think freezing might make them weird and gooey. Push the "Chop" button on the blender for about a second or two or to when the rotor teeth on the blender breaks free from chopping. She's letting me post her recipe (which sounds really yummy). Hope that helps . Now if only I could get my Scottish husband to eat it. 3.75 .... Courgette, pea & pesto soup ... Marinated beetroot with grilled goat's cheese. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvass. 2. Place diced potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water. You could save time using a food processor or onion chopper but the pieces won’t be as pretty and uniform. My Mom requested for me to make this as it was one of her favorites from their visit to Ukraine. I never liked it with kvass, which, to me, makes the soup lose its refreshing quality. Rassolnik (soup with pickled cucumbers) in its modern form is a direct descendant of the rosolny dishes of old Russian cuisine, which even included pies. A creamy, tangy beet and buttermilk soup is refreshing on a summer evening. I haven’t made it with buttermilk before, not sure how it will react to the vinegar. There’s a pic of it here. Thank you in advance. Have you tried the recipes from there? . I’ll definitely have to try it next time. One thing I’ll mention, in case anyone wants to try, is that you can also make it with seltzer water (at least my mom has always made it that way, and I’ve loved it). Drain well and set aside to cool. No peeling required, just slice and drop Anyways, I like your non-kvas soup version better, so that is what I’m starting with. Transfer the soup to a blender. I’ve had it made with kvas and milk/sour cream version. After which I pour in water. Julia. Makes all the difference. instead of ham you may use bologna or chicken breast. Stay tuned though. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/chilled-cucumber-soup Other common garnishes are croutons, chopped eggs and diced ham. Awesome! Thanks for stopping by! I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Natalie! Great along with salmon pirok. Pour the mixture in the pot with the rest of ingredients. https://natashaskitchen.com/okroshka-recipe-russian-summer-soup But I made some modifications like to use lemon juice instead of vinegar, and I add thinly sliced red radishes. I hope you find many new favorite recipes on our blog . I don’t think I’ve ever seen that done before but I’m so intrigued! I’d love to go to culinary school some day. Rating: Ø 4.6 (591 votes) Ingredients for 4 servings Hi. Sour cream and water just makes a lighter version. You've got to try it, you may like it. Happy Cooking. Thanks Nina, I will have to try it with your modifications. I had all the rest of the ingredients but no kvas, so I went hunting for a homemade version, and that is how I found your lovely site! It's very refreshing to have chilled soup on a hot summer day. Love that version! Actually, im currently attending culinary school and working in a small restaurant. Salt cucumbers liberally. Depending on size or amount of cucumbers, you may have some left over that could be used another time or for a salad. You should try kvass It’s delicious I live in new York and can get it in Russian food store But also they should have it in Whole Foods Just mix all ingredients and then add kvass Sour cream add to the plate One or two table spoons That is it ). Though okroshka is a Russian soup, it refers to Slavic cuisine and Ukrainian love and cook it a lot, so we've decided to share the recipe. I haven’t heard of it. I was wondering what you serve with this soup? So your reflection in the spoon is totally awesome! My readers have shared that they use kvass instead of water without vinegar, or some of them said they use lemon juice instead of vinegar. https://www.food.com/recipe/tarator-bulgarian-cold-cucumber-soup-62181 Hi Christian, I have always preferred the greater depth of flavor from using vinegar, but alot of people do put kvass in their cold soup instead. old Russian style You can also check for taste to see if it needs more salt, pepper, or lemon to perfect the taste. I came to your recipe for the measurements She doesn’t measure anything. I’m so glad you like the recipe . I don’t think I liked Okroshka the first time I ate it and now I’m addicted and I can eat 4 bowls in one day! Since vinegar is so much more potent in flavor than kvass, you will want to replace some of the water with kvass for it to be flavorful enough. It’s comments like yours that encourage me to post more of the Russian/Ukrainian foods. 2 TBSP Fresh Lime Juice. Thanks Ana! Thanks for posting these recipes as it gives me a chance to sample simple dishes from my heritage that may have gotten lost in the shuffle of modern day North American life! My friend Liza, who works for my parent company, just emailed me this recipe. Image of pickle, russian, meat - 37270817 Add the onion and carrot. 1 medium sized or 2 small cucumbers 6 medium sized potatoes – 1 1/2 pounds, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and boiled 3 cups cold water 1,5 tsp salt ground black pepper, hint nutmeg 1 cup heavy cream 1 cup milk 1 … We love Renny Darling's Cucumber and Chive Soup with Lemon and Dill and our Asian-inspired Refreshing Cucumber Salad. This sounds delicious! First time to your site, and I literally backed into your blog! You have a really nice salad . Classic Russian soup, with cucumber and sour cream, decorated with greens. Potatoes Ingredients Potato Cucumber Soup. For quicker cooling, you can rinse potatoes with cold water. Ingredients: 1 Large Armenian Cucumber (or Japanese is great too) 1/4 cup Chopped Red Onion (or less depending on your tastes) 2 Stalks Green Onion. Okroshka without radishes? . I’m looking at your cold soup recipie, is there something I could use to substitute for sour cream, keeping the same taste? 1. I’m so happy you and your parents loved the recipe! Maybe one of my readers has another idea? Radish Temper the cream: pour the cream into a cup, add a couple tablespoons of soup… It's simple to make, has a nice dill flavor and is a great way to use a few potatoes and a garden cucumber. It is some of the best food in the whole world! I use lemon juice instead of vinegar and slightly more sour cream. Radish sounds like a great add-in. Hey there Jennifer! Arts & Design. . We tried with kvass and I prefer this version :). So refreshing and delicious. Hope that helps. Halve the lemons and squeeze juice out of lemons into blender container. Someone else suggested that as well. . I hope you find some new favorite recipes here . Thanks for all the hard work producing this blog and your wonderful recipes! We’ve always gobbled it up so quickly that we didn’t need to freeze it. I too love mayo , No I didn’t try ) But I like Veselka restaurant in east village I know the founder is Ukranian woman who moved to States in 50th Now it’s very popular cafe on Manhattan They even published this book with Ukranian recepies and it’s best seller now) I thought maybe its interesting for you They have it on Amazon I mostly cook Russian Ukranian and Polish using family recipes, I’ll definitely check it out. https://leitesculinaria.com/235613/recipes-cold-cucumber-soup-yogurt-dill.html Boil 2 quarts of water and let it cool. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Slice or quarter the eggs into the blender container. Thank you Tanya!! If you already have lemon juice, just pour the proper amount into the blender container. I do have a recipe for holodnik and will be posting it hopefully very soon . Hi Natasha, P.S. ... you do need to cook the beets to make this cool take on the Russian soup. Delicious and easy to prepare. Sprinkle the cucumber slices with salt, and rest for 20 minutes. . Rinse off and pat dry. My son is allergic to dairy but would love to serve this soup to him. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13093/solianka-or-russian-beef-soup She would omit potatoes and use thinly sliced high quality hotdogs for the protein…that was her “Amerkanski” version! ... a few lumps to remain. I also love the idea of using sour cream and thin buttermilk. Stir to combine and serve. I love trying new versions! Thank you.