Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious. Then … Italian Pressed Eggplant, Red Pepper & Olive Tapenade Sandwich Recipe June 2, 2018 Now this, my friends, is the big daddy of the sandwiches I’ll be making, or have made, this week. I was in Florence this summer and had an epic stacked focaccia like this – so beautiful and definitely doable at home. I think it would definitely work, especially if you wrap it in foil! This sandwich is so irresistible, with one bite it will become part of your kitchen repertoire. Here’s how to make it! We also pan fry up some mushrooms using the same basic method we did with the jalapenos. Season eggplant slices evenly with salt and pepper. … All opinions are our own. Drizzle any leftover oil over the top. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. I used unbreaded, sauteed chopped eggplant mixed in with the marinara. I made this sandwich and it is my new favorite. For gluten free, use gluten free bread or omit the bread and serve as a stack. To make the “meaty” part of this epic Italian sandwich you will start by dipping your eggplant slice into an egg replacement being sure to coat it evenly. 1 very large or 2 medium ciabatta loaves, for serving 1. For all of you out there considering going vegan take us up on our 30 Day Vegan Challenge and try it for 30 days. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the eggplant is crisp on the outside and tender inside. Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. Arrange on a paper towel-lined baking sheet and let sit 15 minutes. Easy Italian marinated eggplant – grilled eggplant/aubergine marinated in garlic, oregano, chili and mint. Once you have your Eggplant thoroughly coated place it in a bowl of Italian seasoned breadcrumbs and make sure you coat it evenly in those as well. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. It is a hearty sandwich and can tend to get a bit messy if you try and eat it without cutting it in half. If desired, wrap in aluminum foil to help contain the mess when eating! I cannot eat the food they serve in there (my stomach goes crazy over that horrible food) so it’s always good to have an alternative which is savory, delicious and easy to eat. Meet this Italian eggplant sandwich! Why not bring your friends along too? Saved byThe Edgy Veg 1.5k VegetarianVegan BurgersRecipesVegan SandwichFoodEdgy VegVegetarian RecipesEggplant SandwichVegan Dishes This Italian Eggplant Sandwich is a go-to dinner recipe for us– A mouth watering twist on the classic Italian Veal Sandwich, substituting eggplant for veal turning it into a true vegan delight even omnivores will enjoy. corn starch or potato starch should work as well. The ultimate eggplant sandwich is a beast of a sandwich filled with eggplant parmesan, prosciutto, mozzarella, arugula and basil piled on crusty Italian bread. Tender grilled or roasted eggplant, creamy fresh mozzarella, basil pesto, and a unique flavor maker: olive spread. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. This recipe is not the typical eggplant sandwich or ‘hero’ as we say here in New York. We love spicy food, so we chop up jalapeno peppers and pan fry them with a bit of oil and some salt and sauté them until they are bright green and soft. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to a medium-size pan, and heat over medium high heat. The most important thing is to pay attention! Sprinkle the tops with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. It’s a little easier than grilling because you can just pop it in the oven and it’s very hands off. Dredge the eggplant in flour and shake off the excess. Fresh Basil. Keywords: Eggplant sandwich, Italian sandwich, Mediterranean sandwich, Tag @acouplecooks on Instagram and hashtag it #acouplecooks. Grilled vegetables can be tricky because the timing depends on their thickness and each grill’s specific model and temperature. One of my very favorite meals! Salt and freshly ground black pepper. if you like a really saucy sandwich you can also add more sauce. Italian eggplant grilled cheese sandwiches feature all the flavor of eggplant parmesan, but take only 15 minutes to make. How to Make Italian Fried Eggplant Sandwich Step-by-Step get ingredients ready. The key is in the ingredient quality: make sure to use best quality ingredients! We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. smoked provolone slices! A mouth watering sandwich recipe thats a twist on the classic Italian Veal Sandwich, substituting eggplant for veal turning it into a true vegan delight that many would also say is an even better tasting Italian sandwich than the original. This method is great because you can do it any time of the year. Spread pesto on the cut side of one piece of bread, and olive spread on the cut side of the other bread. Make it yourself with this fully loaded recipe, including tips for keeping it fresh and how to mix and match ingredients. Some good vegan cheese is delish on top! Eggplant Panini is a Italian style delicious sandwich. Haha you are so welcome! Can’t wait to make these (and all the others you listed too!). Cook under the broiler for 10 minutes, or until tender and toasted. If you can find a whole wheat baguette, even better! Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Frankies Spuntino’s fried eggplant sandwich is based on recipes brought over from Italy by the owners’ grandmothers. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. 5) Once eggplant is baked, assemble the sandwich by lightly toasting the bagel. Remove buns form heat and spoon about 2 tbsp worth of marinara sauce on both halves and top with vegan mozzarella cheese. Easy to put together with simple Italian ingredients, it's a fun (and totally tasty) way to … Spread roll bottoms with goat The spices I use to season breadcrumbs are: Dried parsley, basil, oregano, a pinch of salt and cracked black pepper. Bake in preheated oven on the middle rack for 35-40 minutes, flipping once halfway … Add ¾ cup olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium-high heat until oil is heated to 325F, or until it bubbles when you add a couple bread crumbs. Outside of this eggplant sandwich, are a few other vegan and vegetarian sandwich recipes we love: Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. Top with second half of the bun, cut in half and enjoy. A Couple Cooks has been featured on the TODAY Show, and in numerous national print and online publications, including Washington Post, Huffington Post, Food & Wine, and Bon Appetit. Arrange on a paper towel-lined baking sheet and let sit 15 minutes. First of all the eggplants are roasted ,peeled and mashed into pulp. Place 1 slice of Cajun eggplant in between two slices of Italian eggplant – with one layer of sun-dried tomatoes in between. Submerge the eggplant in the egg replacer mixture, shake off the excess, then coat evenly with bread crumbs. 1 Ball of fresh Mozzarella, sliced thin. A mouth-watering sandwich recipe that's a twist on the classic Italian Veal Sandwich, substituting eggplant for veal turning it into a true vegan delight that many would also say is an even better tasting Italian sandwich than the original. Preheat your oven's broiler. Since James has decided to go vegan this month, I … He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. mix the first 5 ingredients for the dressing in a small mixing bowl. This eggplant sandwich make a delicious starter or a very tasty snack. I love the flavors. Since James has decided to go vegan this month, I had to arm myself with his favourite meals. Place each eggplant stack on a slice of bread; top with remaining bread. On A Couple Cooks, you will find healthy vegetarian, vegan, and whole food recipes. Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich is an Italian cuisine. Full nutritional breakdown of the calories in Italian Eggplant Sandwiches based on the calories and nutrition in each ingredient, including Bread, mixed-grain (includes whole-grain, 7-grain), Mozzarella Cheese, part skim milk, Eggplant, fresh, Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar … Craving a classic Italian sub? If doing so, you may want to slice the tomatoes and let them sit on a cutting board for several minutes to drain excess liquid. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/89634/baked-eggplant-sandwiches Inspired by a little sandwich shop from a trip to Italy, this mighty sandwich has all the best Mediterranean flavors. Tender grilled or roasted eggplant, … Meanwhile, heat ½-inch of oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot to 350 . Then peppers and tomatoes are stir fried for few minutes and then the mashed eggplants and the spices are added in … What?