There's no reason not to have fun with Spanish. Are you still at it? “Devyn,” she’d say, “Ponte las pilas!”, The direct translation of this phrase is, “put in your batteries.” Every time a teacher said this I chuckled to myself. The English equivalent is “wake up,” “look alive” or “put some energy into it.”. Of course the opposite is also true. – Good morning! Since vida is feminine, the adjective that describes it is feminine too. Whether you're a high school student or adult learner, these funny Spanish sayings will tickle your fancy and allow you to speak with greater colloquial understanding. Just because something doesn’t glitter doesn’t mean it isn’t precious. And in Spanish, we’ve got plenty of colorful and insightful ones. Dame pan y dime tonto literally translated means “give me bread and call me stupid.” Huh? updated May 19, 2010. Literally: Every pig has her Saint Martin. and don’t forget to […] These sayings and jokes provide a unique “cultural window” that reflects the morals and values of many Spanish-speaking countries. diving into the wonderful world of sayings, Sayings are a culture’s way of passing distilled wisdom, Everything flows from these two pieces of information, FluentU takes real-world videos like music videos, commercials, news, and inspiring talks and turns them into Spanish learning experiences, No Excuses! Think of an overhyped concert that falls flat, or a highly anticipated movie that doesn’t deliver. A cada cerdo le llega su San Martín.. So it’s good to be quality conscious and make every employee of your organization play … Jul 29, 2013 by Brandon Gaille A listing of catchy slogans from radio stations around the world. Sometimes they even rhyme. I heard this often at restaurants and my initial thought was: there’s more than one? Like fifth phrase on our list, “Más ven cuatro ojos que dos” (Four eyes are better than two), for example. Missed a word? Learn all the vocabulary in any video with FluentU’s Learn Mode. Interactive transcript for Carlos Baute song. Language Quiz / Corporate Slogans in Spanish Random Language or Translation Quiz Can you pick the correct company that matches up to their corporate slogan when translated into Spanish? Also known as “La Matanza” (the slaughter), this time of the year is perfect for curing meat, as the first frost arrives. The structures of these sayings are so exceptional, that they bear the seal of approval of native speakers in that the Spanish have been using them for decades and for generations. The buyer can check the age and health of a horse by the state of its teeth. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates. “What goes around comes around” and the evil that you do to others, will ultimately be your own undoing. We'll start with 10 of the most common ones then proceed to the bigger list. 10 Most Common Spanish Phrases. Sayings are a culture’s way of passing distilled wisdom to the next generation. it is often concise and able to deliver the exact message the company has in mind to the audience. There are three sets of slides - one for tú commands, one for ustedes commands, and one for mixed commands - … Didn’t catch something? Rate 5 stars Rate 4 stars Rate 3 stars Rate 2 stars Rate 1 star . If one never finds material wealth, it can still be said that he has found love–and vice versa. Please check your email for further instructions. So let’s go ahead and take a look at 15 widely-used sayings in the Spanish world. What’s going on here? “Creerse la última Coca-Cola en el desierto” literally translated means, “you think you’re the last coke in the desert.”. If you don’t already have a friend to speak with in Spanish, you might want to look into a finding one online via italki. All bark and no bite. But don’t overdo it. Others have noted that this is used frequently throughout much of South America, particularly in rural areas. FluentU is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Hailing the Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez, this slogan became famous through use by the Chavistas or the followers of the late president after his death. It was made during a meeting in 1988, between the advertisers from “Wieden and Kennedy” and a group of employees from Nike.